Overclocking the processor of the PC is quite common among gamers. There are some games that require high graphic performance and more CPU power to run smoothly. Overclocking the processor gives the extra boost in the CPU performance and allows the user to get the most out of it.
The Intel i7 7700k can run on a maximum CPU speed of 4.5Ghz on default. But by overclocking the processor, it is possible to make it run on 5 or even 5.1Ghz. Making it run on high Ghz will require much more core voltage than usual. It is doing more tasks now than it should due to overclocking. So, It will also produce more heat than usual.
Not every motherboard can withstand overclocking. A high-performing motherboard equipped with an integrated heat spreader is suitable for this task. Today, we will learn how to overclock i7 7700k and get stable performance from it.
What is Overclocking?
Overclocking simply means making something run at a higher pace by modifying it. The process will boost the performance of the chip. The processor that runs our computer performs trillions of operations per second. It comes with a preset setting on what frequency it will perform the operations. That doesn’t mean that the maximum number of operations the chip can do is that.
The chip is capable of performing significantly higher than that. By overclocking the processor we make it do more operations per second. More operations mean more CPU speed and that increases the performance of the overall computer. Due to overclock, all programs and games will run smoothly.
Advantages of Overclocking i7 7700k
Intel i7 7700k is one of Intel’s latest processors which provides high performance. Overclocking gives a boost to the CPU power along with that it has some more advantages and these are-
- More than 20% performance increase.
- Provides better graphics and responds faster.
- Overclocking an old device can also perform as a new high-end device.
- Possible to use the CPU at its full potential.
- Possible to check the limit of the chip.
Check Some Best 240hz gaming monitor for getting maximum response time.
Risks of Overclocking i7 7700k
The risks of overclocking as i7 7700k involves-
- It can void users warranty.
- Your whole system can be damaged.
- Generates way more heat.
- Reduce the lifespan of the chip.
- Can make the computer unstable and cause it to shut down now and then.
- Consumes more power than before.
- Produces high pitch noise.
Requirements for Overclocking i7 7700k
Intel processors that have a K in the last of their names are overclockable. So it is possible to overclock the Intel i7 7700k sable if you have the right hardware.
- Motherboard– Motherboards that have Z in their name are overclockable and well compatible with the i7 7700k. The Z170 and Z270 motherboards are suitable if you want to keep the overclock speed under 4.8Ghz. But if you want to set the overclock speed to more than 4.8Ghz you should consider buying an MSI motherboard. MSI z270 Gaming M7 is great for achieving 5/5.1Ghz speed and it keeps the temperature stable and lower than any other motherboard out there consuming low power.
- Cooling System- As overclocking enables the chip to perform more operations than usual so it consumes more power and generates more heat. If you are thinking about increasing the clock speed just a little a good air cooling system such as Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 should work. But for getting higher CPU performance you should have a liquid cooling system. Corsair h80i and h100i are quite good cooling systems and keep the temperature in control even in high CPU overclocking.
- Power Supply Cable– Your PC is going to require more voltage as you overclock the processor. So you’ll need a power supply cable that can supply the necessary power to the hardware. In this case, a 550W power supply cable from a trustworthy brand will do fine.
How to Overclock i7 7700k- Step-by-Step guide
When you have all the required items, overclocking an Intel i7 7700k is fairly simple and can be done by just following a few simple steps.
Process of overclocking an i7 7700k to 4.8Ghz
Step-1: Enter BIOS Setup
Overclocking is done by entering the BIOS setup menu of the PC. To enter into the BIOS of your PC you have to press the hotkeys while the computer is booting up. The hotkeys are different for different PC brands. Though DEL and F2 are generally the keys to enter into the BIOS. Here is a list of hotkeys for different PC brands.
- Acer: F2 or DEL
- ASUS: F2 for all PCs, F2 or DEL for motherboards
- Dell: F2 or F12
- HP: ESC or F10
- Lenovo: F2 or Fn + F2
- Lenovo (Desktops): F1
- Lenovo (ThinkPads): Enter + F1.
- MSI: DEL for motherboards and PCs
- Microsoft Surface Tablets: Press and hold the volume up button.
- Origin PC: F2
- Samsung: F2
- Sony: F1, F2, or F3
- Toshiba: F2
Step-2: Change the CPU Ratio
Upon entering the BIOS you’ll see an option ‘CPU Ratio’ and it should be set to Auto by default.
For achieving 4.8Ghz clock speed put valve 48 in the CPU Ratio box. If that doesn’t work ou should try the following frequency ranges 46, 47, and 49.
Use the down arrow key to navigate and below you’ll see Voltage Setting. On there you’ll find CPU Core/GT Voltage Mode. Click on that and set Adaptive Mode.
Step-3: Change the CPU Core Voltage
After that Change the CPU Core voltage from Auto to 1.200.
Step-4: Save the Settings
These values and methods are tested hundreds of times. so, it is safe to save the settings. Save the changes you made by pressing F10.
Press enter and it should take you to your PC’s homepage.
Step-5: Stress test
Most of the time it happens that the PC won’t provide stable results after overclocking. So you have to make sure that the PC is stable at 4.8Ghz clock speed. To make sure of the matter you have a stress test on the PC for a minimum of 4 to 5 hours. If you see that the PC is performing well without any performance drop that means you have successfully overclocked the CPU to 4.8Ghz clock speed.
Process of overclocking an i7 7700k to 5.0Ghz
For overclocking the CPU to 5.0Ghz you have to put the valve 50 in the CPU Ratio.
Change the CPU Core/ GT Voltage Mode from Auto to Adaptive Mode. And set the CPU Core Voltage to 1.260.
Save the setting by pressing F10 and then stress test to make sure the PC is providing stable performance while taking a full load.
Process of overclocking an i7 7700k to 5.1Ghz
For overclocking the CPU to 5.1Ghz you have to put valve 51 in the CPU Core Ratio.
Change the CPU Core/ GT Voltage Mode from Auto to Adaptive Mode. And set the CPU core Voltage to 1.260.
Save the setting by pressing F10 and then Stress Test to make sure the PC is providing a pretty decent rig and temperature spikes are also under control.
Overclocking an i7 7700k can boost the performance of the CPU by more than 20% which is a huge deal. If you have the proper hardware and you are in need of that extra performance you should go for overclocking.
In this post, we have discussed the simplest way of how to overclock i7 7700k. Following the instructions, you can easily overclock your i7 7700k chip without facing any difficulty. Overclocking the CPU will surely increase your computer’s performance and you can use it to its utmost potential. But, if you are not confident doing it by yourself, you should seek help from a most experienced person.